Browse by Investigator Last Name
- A (115)
- B (157)
- C (119)
- D (96)
- E (34)
- F (76)
- G (74)
- H (121)
- I (16)
- J (108)
- K (116)
- L (93)
- M (131)
- N (37)
- O (24)
- P (59)
- Q (4)
- R (101)
- S (291)
- T (56)
- U (6)
- V (25)
- W (110)
- X (6)
- Y (18)
- Z (12)
Richard AhrensProfessor, Pediatrics
Contact InformationPhone: +1 319 356 4050
EducationBS, Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin
Fellowship, NIH Research Fellowship, Medical College of Wisconsin
MD, Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin
Internship, Internal Medicine, St Louis University Hospital
Residency, Pediatrics, St Louis University Hospital
Residency, Chief Resident, Pediatrics, St Louis University Hospital
Fellowship, Allergy & Pediatric Pulmonology, University of Iowa
MS, Clinical Pharmacology, University of Iowa
Centers and Program Affiliations
Research Interestsasthma, chemotherapy, cystic fibrosis, glucocorticoid, inhaled drug, lung damage, lung disease, pediatrics, pharmacology, pulmonary disease, respiratory system
MeSH Terms from Publications
Research SummaryMy research involves the use of medications to treat lung disease in children including asthma and cystic fibrosis and to prevent lung damage in premature infants. Asthma and cystic fibrosis work focuses on how best to use inhaled drugs to minimize symptoms. Work with premature infants examines how to best use medications called glucocorticoids to improve the prognosis of these children. Research also involves both bench laboratory studies and clinical studies of human subjects.
- Prabhakaran, S, Shuster, J, Ahrens, R, Hendeles, L. Methacholine Challenge as a Clinical Bioassay of Pulmonary Delivery of a Long-Acting beta(2)-Adrenergic Agonist. PHARMACOTHERAPY 31(5):449-457, MAY 2011.
- Moskowitz, SM, Emerson, JC, McNamara, S, Shell, RD, Orenstein, DM, Rosenbluth, D, Katz, MF, Ahrens, R, Hornick, D, Joseph, PM, Gibson, RL, Aitken, ML, Benton, WW, Burns, JL. Randomized Trial of Biofilm Testing to Select Antibiotics for Cystic Fibrosis Airway Infection. PEDIATRIC PULMONOLOGY 46(2):184-192, FEB 2011.
- Clancy, JP, Sun, H, Donaldson, SH, Gabriel, S, Starner, TD, Ahrens, R, Hornick, DB, Liu, B, Rowe, SM. CF AND NON-CF INTESTINAL BIOPSY CURRENTS: DEFINING CFTR FUNCTION THROUGH ROC CURVE ANALYSES AND EX VIVO MODULATION. PEDIATRIC PULMONOLOGY null(null):282-282, 2011.
- Smukler, SR, Arntfield, ME, Razavi, R, Bikopoulos, G, Karpowicz, P, Seaberg, R, Dai, FH, Lee, S, Ahrens, R, Fraser, PE, Wheeler, MB, van der Kooy, D. The Adult Mouse and Human Pancreas Contain Rare Multipotent Stem Cells that Express Insulin. CELL STEM CELL 8(3):281-293, MAR 4 2011.
- Wu, D, Ahrens, R, Osterfeld, H, Noah, TK, Groschwitz, K, Foster, PS, Steinbrecher, KA, Rothenberg, ME, Shroyer, NF, Matthaei, KI, Finkelman, FD, Hogan, SP. Interleukin-13 (IL-13)/IL-13 Receptor alpha 1 (IL-13R alpha 1) Signaling Regulates Intestinal Epithelial Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Channel-dependent Cl- Secretion. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY 286(15):13357-13369, APR 15 2011.
- Waddell, A, Ahrens, R, Steinbrecher, K, Donovan, B, Rothenberg, ME, Munitz, A, Hogan, SP. Colonic Eosinophilic Inflammation in Experimental Colitis Is Mediated by Ly6C(high) CCR2(+) Inflammatory Monocyte/Macrophage-Derived CCL11. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY 186(10):5993-6003, MAY 15 2011.
- Arumugam, M, Ahrens, R, Osterfeld, H, Kottyan, LC, Shang, X, Maclennan, JA, Zimmermann, N, Zheng, Y, Finkelman, FD, Hogan, SP. Increased susceptibility of 129SvEvBrd mice to IgE-Mast cell mediated anaphylaxis. BMC IMMUNOLOGY 12(null):-, FEB 3 2011.
- Adams, W, Ahrens, R, Chen, M, Christopher, D, Chowdhury, B, Conner, D, Dalby, R, Fitzgerald, K, Hendeles, L, Hickey, A, Hochhaus, G, Laube, B, Lucas, P, Lee, S, Lyapustina, S, Li, B, O'Connor, D, Parikh, N, Parkins, D, Peri, P, Pitcairn, G, Riebe, M, Roy, P, Shah, T, Singh, G, Sharp, S, Suman, J, Weda, M, Woodcock, J, Yu, L. Demonstrating Bioequivalence of Locally Acting Orally Inhaled Drug Products (OIPs): Workshop Summary Report. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 23(1):1-29, 2010. [PubMed]
- Konstan, MW, Liou, TG, Strausbaugh, SD, Ahrens, R, Kanga, JF, Graff, GR, Moffett, K, Millard, SL, Nasr, SZ, Simeon, E, Spenard, J, Grondin, J. Efficacy and Safety of a New Formulation of Pancrelipase (Ultrase MT20) in the Treatment of Malabsorption in Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency in Cystic Fibrosis. GASTROENTEROLOGY RESEARCH AND PRACTICE null(null):-, 2010.
- Munitz, A, Cole, ET, Beichler, A, Groschwitz, K, Ahrens, R, Steinbrecher, K, Willson, T, Han, XN, Denson, L, Rothenberg, ME, Hogan, SP. Paired Immunoglobulin-Like Receptor B (PIR-B) Negatively Regulates Macrophage Activation in Experimental Colitis. GASTROENTEROLOGY 139(2):530-541, AUG 2010.